Through the progressive revolution of online shopping, shoppers are no longer required to visit dozens of boutiques to purchase classic jewellery items and elegant accessories. With more than 5000 jewellery stores across Australia, you may now shop for jewellery online that fits your style and budget from the comfort of your own home.
Online shopping is a godsend for jewellery aficionados since it allows them to keep up with the latest trends, receive the greatest pricing deals, and buy from the world’s largest jewellery retailers. If you want to expand your jewellery collection or treat someone, the internet provides a more convenient, affordable, and thrilling buying experience than typical brick-and-mortar jewellery retailers.
The Reality of Online Shopping for Jewellery Lovers
When purchasing jewellery online, you may become swamped by the large range of items available in various designs, pricing, and quality. You might be hesitant to spend your funds without even seeing the piece of jewellery in person. Also, how can you know whether an internet jewellery business is reputable and trustworthy before making a purchase?
The reality is that some individuals believe that buying jewellery online is unsafe, and their fears are occasionally legitimate. So, jewellery lovers should take steps to feel secure about their online jewellery purchases and to spend safely on the internet in general.
Are you seeking Australian-made jewellery that matches your personal style? Do you wish to locate something that stands out from the ordinary necklaces, earrings, and rings that you see everywhere? Do you want to buy genuine and high-quality jewellery?
Buying for Australian jewellery designed by independent jewellers attracts attention. With the appropriate approach, you may locate gorgeous pieces that are one-of-a-kind, match your budget, and are of high quality. What about gift-giving? You’ll be a pro in no time!
With such a large selection of jewellery, you’ll always be able to find something to match your outfit. Online jewellery purchasing, on the other hand, can be associated with dangers such as fraud, poor quality jewellery, and late shipment, among other issues. This article looks at how to deal with these issues while shopping for jewellery on the internet.
How You Can Securely Buy Jewellery Online in Australia?
Here are our top 10 recommendations for securely buying jewellery online in Australia. Continue reading for an in-depth look at what to look for when shopping for one-of-a-kind jewellery.
1. Know the Shop Before Buying
Absolutely, it’s difficult to know who to trust and who not to trust while shopping for jewellery online. Before you purchase, do some research to find reputable internet retailers.
Take advantage of your favourite search engine to locate the greatest online Australian jewellery retailers. Once you’ve located several businesses that sell jewellery you like, do some background investigation to see whether they’re reputable and if they’re a good fit for you before proceeding.
Consider the following to securely buy jewellery online:
- What is the history of the eCommerce store? Date of Start? Significant Events?
- Is there a credible background narrative on the website’s ‘about us’ page?
- What is the location of the company? Is it an Australian jewellery brand that complies with Australian consumer protection laws?
- Is it simple to get in touch with the jewellery store, and does it look like they provide good customer service?
- Is the jewellery style and photos consistent throughout the online store (which indicates products are photographed in-house), or are there discrepancies with photo and jewellery styles which suggest items are sourced from various areas and re-sold?
- What is the range of prices? Is it reasonable and within your budget? Are the payment options reliable?
- How thorough are the product descriptions? Do you have enough knowledge to make an informed decision regarding your purchase?
- Are the company’s ideals compatible with your own? Is it, for example, an eco-friendly jewellery company that strives to be sustainable and eco-friendly?
- Does the website appear to be credible, trustworthy, and well-established?
- Is there a social media presence for the company, and does it appear authentic rather than flooded with false followers?
- Does the company provide testimonials on their website?
- Does the company have good Google or Trip Advisor reviews?
2. Cross-Check the Competition Across the Australian Jewellery Market
Buying fine jewellery from Australian jewellers does not require a large sum of money, contrary to common opinion. Luxury jewellery businesses do expect people to pay a lot of money to obtain exquisite items.
However, you don’t have to spend a lot of money every time you want to add a beautiful item to your collection. Instead, all you’ll need is a well-thought-out approach and a little jewellery know-how.
Regardless of the company name, we need to buy from reputable and high-quality Australian jewellers, whether you’re increasing your personal collection or buying a present for a loved one. Wearers get a pleasant and cozy sensation to wear jewellery made with love by an independent jewellery designer.
Take the time to investigate the firms and jewellers from whom you want to buy jewellery.
- What is the backstory to the company’s creation?
- What inspires them to design the jewellery they offer?
- What is their relationship with Australia?
- Do they produce and/or manufacture the jewellery they sell?
- How are the jewellery items marketed?
Find out where a seller’s items are made if you truly wish to support local creators. Larger name companies frequently resell ready-made jewellery that was wholly developed and manufactured by another company in another country, sometimes in appalling conditions.
As mentioned, aim to purchase from small independent jewellery businesses like Opals Down Under which has a wide selection and excellent customer service. The items you buy from us let you create lasting memories and add your own personal flair to any ensemble. Most of our jewellery is handmade right here in Queensland, Australia.
3. Consider Referrals from Friends and Family
When securely buying jewellery online, keep in mind that it’s very probable that your friends or family members have done so in the past. Inquire about their opinions and whether they would suggest any particular shop.
Perhaps all you need is a suggestion from a friend. Also, inquire whether they’ve heard of a certain online jewellery store you’ve discovered, and if so, what they’ve learned about it.
You may, of course, suggest internet firms with which you’ve had a positive experience. Opals Down Under, an independent online jewellery business, also rely on word-of-mouth referrals from people just like you.
Referrals usually attest to the credibility of the shop. This helps to boost your confidence for the store to purchase the doubts on your mind.
4. Check and Verify Online Reviews for the Jewellery Shop
Choosing a good online jewellery supplier may appear to be a difficult task. Looking at what previous consumers have to say about a shop, on the other hand, makes the procedure easier. Customer feedback is a good sign of a store’s trustworthiness.
Check to see if previous customers were satisfied. Always go with an online jewellery company that has a lot of positive feedback and excellent client ratings.
Look at the online store’s website as well as a general search engine to see if there are any other reviews. Keep in mind that pleased consumers are less likely to post a review, but unsatisfied ones are more likely to do so.
If you have a large number of unsatisfied customers who have left legitimate-sounding evaluations, you should surely consider them.
5. Be Aware of the Materials Used for the Jewellery
When it comes to this subject, it may sound like a broken record. When purchasing jewellery online, however, you should always inspect each item to see what it is composed of and what that signifies.
For example, just because a piece of jewellery has the terms “silver” or “gold” in its title doesn’t guarantee it’s genuine gold or silver jewellery. It may be only a reference to the colour rather than the substance.
That’s not to suggest you shouldn’t buy second-class or class B jewellery; it just means you should know what you’re getting for your money. If an online business does not give clear and extensive information on the materials used to create each product it sells, be cautious.
Being aware of the materials used for your next purchase keeps the value with the price that you pay. Make sure that they are all specified in the product description part to discern the credibility of the jewellery shop.
6. Verify the Authenticity of the Jewellery Pieces Before Your Checkout
Nevertheless, many items of jewellery on the market are not made of the material that they appear to be. Costume jewellery has its place, but be sure you aren’t anticipating something of higher quality than it is.
Authenticity is essential since it assures that the piece will last and have the brilliance and colour that you desire. How can you be certain of your authenticity? Initially, by purchasing from a reputable vendor.
If you’re a first-time consumer, investigate the jewellery store you’re considering purchasing from.
- Are they forthright about their location?
- How long has the company been in operation?
- What kind of feedback have they received?
- Is it possible to return something if you’re unhappy for whatever reason?
- Is it possible that their pricing is too good to be true (a big red flag)?
All of these factors will offer you an indication of the company’s trustworthiness just like Opals Down Under. We’ve been in business for more than three decades and are quite proud of the quality of our inventory.
We use genuine 925 Sterling silver, Yellow, White and Rose Gold (9K, 14K, & 18K), and gemstones to manufacture our jewellery. On our product pages, we always disclose the materials used to make our jewellery, and we offer a lot of information and even a jewellery dictionary to help you learn more about what you’re buying.
7. Never Fall for Too Cheap or Too Expensive Pieces of Jewellery
Price tags on jewellery that are too cheap are a red flag. Especially, if you are under the misconception that jewellery is composed of precious metals and diamonds.
While too-good-to-be-true jewellery prices are not a good indicator, you should also keep in mind that a high price tag does not always imply quality or ethical activities. It’s possible that you’re just paying a lot of money for a large brand name with hefty overheads rather than top-quality jewellery.
This isn’t to say that exorbitant costs are never reasonable. Solid gold or platinum jewellery, as well as pieces set with high-quality or rare mined gemstones, will always be costly. Complex works crafted by a talented or sought-after artisan will do the same.
Also, keep in mind that jewellery stores must charge enough to pay their expenses. They require livable salaries and the ability to manufacture jewellery without using unethical labour methods.
In terms of design distinctiveness, material quality, and level of craftsmanship, aim to obtain what you paid for. Spending a lot of money on a huge brand name or a big company with big overheads isn’t our idea of a good time.
8. Examine the Jewellery Sizes Available from the Online Store
Ensure to examine the dimensions of any item of jewellery you’re considering purchasing online. It’s a good idea to think about this before you place the order because you could get something that isn’t quite the size you expected.
Jewellery photography works difficult to convey a good sense of scale and proportion in general. Even photos of models wearing jewellery might be deceiving. It’s a good idea to think about this before you place your purchase because you could get something that isn’t quite the size you expected.
While shopping for jewellery online, we recommend keeping a ruler or tape measure nearby so you can consult it for a clear sense of size. Also keep in mind that, in certain cases, size does matter more in terms of fit than it does in terms of appearance.
For example, you could discover that a necklace is too long or too short for you. So, verify the length being sold and see if it’s customizable or changeable. Make sure the jewellery stores you’re considering do the same so you know exactly what you’re buying.
Luckily, each item of jewellery that Opals Down Under sells online is always measured in centimetres and inches and incorporated into the product description & photographs.
9. Read the Warranty or Customer Guarantee Carefully
Refuse to buy online from Australian jewellery designers that don’t offer a reasonable warranty or guarantee. It’s something you should look at when securely buying jewellery online in Australia.
It’s hazardous to buy from a retailer that doesn’t offer a warranty or guarantee on its products when you’re buying online and haven’t seen the items in person.
10. Pay Attention to the Item Return & Exchange Policy
In addition to the warranty or guarantee mentioned above, while buying online, take the time to read each store’s return and exchange policy before making a purchase. This is a good technique to limit your choices since you can make sure you understand the regulations before it’s too late.
Here are some questions to consider:
- Can you return anything for any reason, including if you decide they’re not suited for you after seeing them in person? This is not an option available in every online jewellery retailer.
- Is a similar policy applied to all products? What about things that are manufactured to order?
- Is it possible to arrange an exchange rather than a return?
- In certain instances, who is responsible for paying for the delivery of returns or exchanges?
- What procedures would you have to take to arrange a return?
- Is there a deadline for replacing or exchanging merchandise?
Check these policies before you go shopping. Then, you could find yourself unable to return anything you don’t like once you’ve seen it in person – which is never a good thing.
11. Review the Shipping Policies Before Checking Out
Shipping regulations differ from one retailer to the next. Before you buy jewellery online, make sure to read the store’s jewellery shipping regulations to ensure that you’re comfortable with them and that they’ll work for you.
Several things to keep an eye out on how to securely buy jewellery online in Australia are:
- How much does shipping cost?
- Is there a way to get free delivery?
- What is the estimated time it will take for your order to be shipped?
- How long does it take for made-to-order jewellery to arrive?
- Where are the things transported from, and how long will it take for them to arrive at your location? Is it possible for you to arrange for express delivery if necessary?
- What delivery services does the online jewellery retailer make use of? Do they have a good reputation?
- Will your order come with a tracking number?
- What follows if your order goes missing or something goes wrong with the shipping? Are the policies well-defined?
- Is it permissible to transport to a home address?
If you’re buying for a special event or a present that has to come by a certain date, you should know if your order will reach you on time. Consider what you can do to expedite the delivery if necessary, including any additional expenses that may be charged for faster delivery.
12. Assess the Online Store/eCommerce Website Security with the Business Credentials
When you just want to go browsing and securely buy jewellery online in Australia, these may seem like minor concerns. But it pays to take at least a cursory check to ensure that an online store is safe and that the company is authentic before handing over your money.
Check the URL bar of your website to determine if the site you’re on has a secure connection as a starting point. Through Google Chrome, a padlock will appear to indicate that it is, and clicking on it will provide further details. Another hint is that the URL will begin with ‘HTTPS’ rather than ‘HTTP’.
If you’re purchasing online, be sure the store is PCI Compliant, which is “a security requirement for organizations that handle credit and debit card information.” Opals Down Under runs its online store through Woocommerce, and uses eWay as their preferred choice for secure online credit card transactions. eWay is certified as meeting level one PCI DSS compliance, meaning all payment data is safeguarded to the highest measure of online security.
In addition, seek any information on the internet store’s company registration. Look for an ABN (Australian Business Number) prominently displayed on an Australian eCommerce store.
For example, Opals Down Under provides its ABN on the ‘Our Service’ page. This number can be used to verify that the company is officially registered in Australia.
Finally, if you really want to get down to business, search for terms of service and privacy policies, which should be available at all genuine online retailers. These pages are connected to our online store’s menu at the bottom of every page.
Opal Down Under’s Tips on How to Securely Buy Jewellery Online in Australia
You’ll also find a considerably greater range of design styles, quality, materials, and other alternatives than you’ll find when shopping offline, ensuring that you get exactly what you’re looking for rather than settling. What could possibly be wrong with that?
All you have to do now is follow our top 12 tips to securely buy jewellery online in Australia, do some research on the finest Australian jewellery retailers, and you’ll be set.
Are you prepared to go shopping? Take a look at our online jewellery store today and we’ll deliver it as fast as we can.