Taking care of opals is essential to maintain their natural beauty and luster. Here are simple tips to keep your opals looking stunning:
- Gentle Cleaning: Use a soft, damp cloth to gently wipe away any dust or dirt on your opal. Avoid abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that can damage the surface.
- Avoid Exposure: Opals are sensitive to extreme temperatures, so it’s best to avoid exposing them to direct sunlight or extreme heat for prolonged periods. Additionally, keep them away from harsh chemicals like household cleaners.
- Remove Before Activities: While opals are relatively durable, it’s wise to remove opal jewellery before engaging in activities that could subject them to knicks or scratches. This includes activities like gardening or heavy-duty chores.
- Proper Storage: When not wearing your opals, store them in a soft pouch or a jewellery box with compartments to prevent them from scratching against other pieces. Avoid tossing opal jewellery into a common jewellery box where they can come into contact with harder stones.
- Avoid Immersion: Opals should not be immersed in water for extended periods, as this can lead to discoloration or damage. Remove opal rings before swimming or doing dishes to preserve their integrity.
- Regular Inspections: Periodically inspect your opal jewellery for loose settings or signs of wear. If you notice anything unusual, take it to a professional jeweller for assessment and potential repairs.
By following these simple care tips, you can ensure that your opals remain vibrant and beautiful for years to come. Opals are not just gemstones; they are pieces of nature’s art, and proper care will help preserve their unique charm and colours.
We also have a informative read up on how to take care of your opals, feel free to read more.